Do you want to register a company in Kenya? This post gives a guide on how to register a company in Kenya. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org for any inquiries.
Search of name
Registration of a company in Kenya starts with the search of the desired company name. This is to ensure that the name that requires to be registered is not similar to another registered company in Kenya and is available for registration. See the new requirements for the name to be registered.
The applicant shall be required to search the desired company name at the Registrar of Companies in Kenya. This is done by writing a letter to the Registrar of Companies to approve the names. If approved, the Registrar will issue the applicant with a letter confirming that the name is available for registration. This process will take about 1 day.
Payment of Stamp duty
The Statement of Nominal duty together with the Memorandum will be lodged for payment of stamp duty. The Registrar of Companies currently collects the stamp duty on behalf of the Government. This process may take 1-3 days. This process is currently being handled at Huduma Centre http://www.hudumakenya.go.ke/.
Registration of the company in Kenya
A person wishing to incorporate a company should lodge with the Registrar the following documents:
- Application and reservation of name. We will assist carry out the name search and reservation of the desired name for registration.
- Form CR 1– we will assist to prepare the application for registration of a company. Details to be lodged will include registered office, director/shareholder details, liability of members (by shares or guarantee), if the company is private or public, consent of the director/secretary and address of the agent making the application.
- Form CR 2 This is the model memorandum to be lodged with the Registrar of Companies in Kenya. Please note that unless stated explicitly in the memorandum, the company will not be restricted in the business it carries out.
- Statement of Nominal Share Capital duly stamped upon payment of stamp duty.
- Notification of directors’ residential address. (Form CR8). The directors will be required to provide a comprehensive details of their residential address. This will include the plot no, physical address, road, building and postal address.
- Articles of Association (if those provided in the Regulations have not been adopted).
- Applicants should attach copies of identification documents.
For Kenyan Citizens attach copies of:
- Identification Card (ID)
- Personal Identification Number certificate (PIN)
- Passport size photo (coloured)
For Non Kenyans (Foreigners) attach copies of:
- Passport pages with bio data
- Passport size photo (coloured )