This is the procedure for registration of a limited liability company in Kenya.
Search of name
The applicant shall be required to search the desired company name at the Registrar of Companies. If approved, the Registrar will issue the applicant with a letter confirming that the name is available for registration. This process will take about 1 day.
Memorandum & Articles of Association
The applicant will be required to engage a professional lawyer/company secretary to draft the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the company which will set out among others the objects of the company and the internal constitution of the company.
Payment of Stamp duty
Once the memorandum & Articles are ready, the lawyer will lodge the documents with the Registrar of Companies for payment of stamp duty. The Registrar of Companies currently collects the stamp duty on behalf of the Government. This process may take 1-3 days. This process is currently being handled at Huduma Centre http://www.hudumakenya.go.ke/.
Registration of the company
Once the stamp duty is paid, the lawyer/company secretary will forward the documents to the Registrar of Companies together with these forms:-
- Form 203 – this form covers the particulars of the company directors and secretary.
- Form 201 – this form notifies the registrar of the registered office of the company.
- Form 208 – this compliance form is signed by the lawyer registering the company.
Once the registration of the company is complete, a certificate of incorporation will be issued.
Requirements to register a limited liability company in Kenya
- National Identity Card (ID/passport) for all directors.
- PIN certificate (for Kenyans) for all directors.
- Passport photographs for all directors.
If you would like to register a company in Kenya, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or call us on +254721235823 and we will guide you through the entire process.