The company management may be desirous to change the name of the company for various reasons. Such reasons include mergers & Acquisitions, change of ownership, on consolidation of various companies into one, making a name shorter for marketing and many other reasons.
The Registrar of Companies may also compulsorily require change of name in case the company was inadvertently registered by a name which, in the opinion of the registrar, is too like the name by which a company in existence is previously registered.
The following steps are taken to effect change of company name:
- The Directors would recommend change of name to the shareholders’ at an extra-ordinary General Meeting or General Meeting.
- A normal name search is done and reservation of the ‘new’ company name. This is done within a day.
- Upon shareholders resolution with special majority, a special resolution (i.e by not less ¾ of the members entitled to vote) together with Notice shall be filed with the Registrar of Companies for approval within 14 days.
- Upon receipt of the notice, the registrar shall:-
- Enter the name on the register in place of the former.
- Issue to the company a certificate of change of name.
- Publish the change of name in the Kenya Gazette
If you would like to change your company name, please contact us on email@example.com.