Sole proprietorships and partnerships are both registered under the Business Names Act.
A sole proprietorship is formed by only one person whereas a partnership will consist of at least two persons and a maximum of 20 persons. The registration procedure for the two is more or less the same as the same Form BN2 is required.
Requirements for registration of a sole proprietorship/ partnership
- Proposed business names for search and approval;
- Nature of business; for professional services a practicing certificate by the relevant body for the current year will be attached;
- Proposed Physical address of the business. Address includes road, plot number, town, and county;
- Full names of the partners or the sole proprietor;
- Nationality of the partners/ sole proprietor;
- Age of each partner based on their national IDs;
- Gender of each of the partners;
- Usual place of residence of each of the partners/ sole proprietor
- Copy of ID / Passport for Partners /the Sole proprietor;
- 2 passport photos of Partners/ Sole proprietor;
- Copy of PIN certificate for the Partners/ Sole proprietor
Procedure for registration of a partnership/ sole proprietorship.
A search is conducted to establish if the proposed names are available for registration. A name is then reserved pending registration of the business name / partnership. The application for reservation of a name is done by a letter along with the prescribed fees
Application for registration
A statement of particulars (form BN2) is then filled with the relevant information. This is then signed by the partners/ sole proprieter and lodged with the Registrar accompanied by the prescribed fee.
Issuance of certificate
The Certificate of registration BN 3 is then processed and issued.
If you need to register a business name or partnership, please contact us on email@example.com