In this article, we will cover how to apply for a Special Pass in Kenya
What is a Special Pass in Kenya?
A special pass is issued under the Kenyan Citizenship and Immigration Act (Legal Notice no. 64)
Regulation 31 (7) states that
“Subject to the provisions of these Regulations on work permits and permanent residence, a person who comes to Kenya to engage in any form of employment whether paid or unpaid or in any other income generating activity for a period not exceeding three months, shall not be issued with a visitor’s pass and shall apply for a special pass in the manner provided in this Act”.
Why do you need a Special Pass in Kenya?
Regulation 34 states the following reasons for getting a Special Pass in Kenya
34. (1) Any person who wishes to enter or remain in Kenya for— (a) a limited period for the purpose of applying a review of a decision denying a permit; (b) applying for a permit or pass; (b) temporarily conducting any business, trade or profession; or (c) any other purpose which an immigration officer considers suitable.
Requirements for getting a Special Pass in Kenya?
Cost- Kshs. 15,000 per month. In total, you will pay Kshs. 45, 000. The Special Pass is valid for three months and renewable only once for a further three months.
Create an Account on eFNS https://fns.immigration.go.ke/ which is a portal for Foreign Nationals where they can apply for a Special Pass, Work Permit, Residence Permit or Kenyan Citizenship. Applicants must use their own accounts to make the application.
Meet the requirements as per https://fns.immigration.go.ke/infopack/passes/specialpass/ which are;
- Duly filled and signed Form 32 – Special Pass online application form (Stamped by Institution). You will print out the form at the end of the application for a special pass.
- Detailed and Signed Cover letter addressed to the Director of Immigration Services from the applicant/organization
- Two (2) recent passport size color photos.
- Copy of passport (the bio-data page)
- Current Immigration status if in the country
- Copy of Registration Certificate for the organization.
- Certified copies of academic and professional certificates
- Documents in foreign languages should be translated into English by either the Embassy, Public Notary, or authorized /recognized institution
- Copy of any permit or passes held.
- Copy of any official receipt or acknowledgement for those waiting for permits processing.
- Clearance letter from the relevant authorities.
The application and the payments are all done on the efns Portal. An invoice is generated and you will be required to pay online. No cash is accepted at the Immigration.
How can we assist you?
- To register your business/company in Kenya to transact business in Kenya.
- Guide you through the process of applying for a Special Pass in Kenya
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone +254709747555